Friday, August 6, 2010

The Sacred Flame of your Home

You can partake in this simple ritual easily. Many places around the world use the concept of an eternal, sacred flame to honor special spirits. You can honor the spirit of your home/your ancestors/a goddess of the hearth or home/a saint associated with home matters in the same manner.
You will simply need a stock of 7 day candles and some incense. 7 day candles are INSANELY cheap and so very useful. They can even be found in the international foods aisles of many food stores like Kroger-these typically have saints on them, but those are simple to remove if you do not like the image...just peel it and use soap and water for anything that gets stuck

Light the tip of the incense. I always use the stove to start this ritual since it is the modern day hearth and so much of my magic is home centered. Use the incense to light the candle (I always use white, but as always I invite you to pick the color that feels most relevant to you). I then place the candle on the stove and then walk the incense through the home, purifying the air and asking the goddess for blessings and protection. When the candle is burning low I use another stick to transfer the flame to a new candle and repeat walking through the home. This way, each week I am doing a small and simple home purification, and by transfering the flame to a new candle, the sacred flame of the home never goes out.
These candles can generally be burned safely unattended, however, use your reason and caution. If you are going on vacation for a week, it might make more sense to extinguish the flame for this period of time and relight it upon your return. And obviously, use your candle logic. Do not place an open flame near anything that could set fire.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    Love your blog, especially how you simply just write down your thoughts in such a reflective and questioning manner. This is exactly where I am right now, questioning and seeking what feels right to me.

    Yes I agree simplicity is the way, why do we have follow any type of ritual that someone else has written, why should we be tied to anything in such a narrow way.

    One of my rituals at the moment is a morning one. I go outside and feel the energy and spirit around me and in me, I pick a few leaves of mint for my morning tea, which I also view as being a medicine for my tummy. And I also thank the goddess and / or god, as well as silently thanking the plants spirit and essence. Then I drink my tea imagining the herb doing the work that it needs to do.

    This is all done within 5 - 10 minutes before I have my drink.
    Lighting a candles sounds great too.

    ReplyDelete